Saturday, September 3, 2011

An endorsement to get involved


So i was asked recently if i (along with a few others) could share any reasons as to WHY someone who wanted to get involved with trafficking, or Transitions Global... or ANYTHING, really. But about MY specific experience, i wrote this:

"I’m 47, and I’ve never been on a mission trip. Until now. Never wanted to go, until I went. You can talk about girls and victims and all that ‘til you’re blue in the face, until you’re in the face of one of these girls. Then you stop talking. And you start thinking: “What can I do?”

That’s not to say the trip was all work. I met some great people! Had some good laughs, shed a few tears, had some great conversations. None of that is why I went, but it was good. I went for one reason: I knew that until I saw what was going on, good and bad, it would be just too, too easy for me to walk away. I also knew if I went, I would probably have my heart broken. I sure didn’t want that! But you know, these girls have had their hearts, their bodies, their spirits broken…and they’re healing. They’re coming back, and they’re coming back strong. And if they have the guts to ENDURE what they’ve been through, I thought, then certainly I can muster enough backbone to be a simple witness. And maybe, just maybe, if I have one tenth the fortitude of one of these girls, I can make a difference.

If you’re a Christian, this is a chance to stop trying to spread the gospel, and BE the gospel. Stop trying. BE the hands and feet of Christ.
If you’re an Anything-Else, surely our greatest humanitarian duty is to those who have suffered the most at the hands of our fellow humans.

In either case, you can’t really put a face on it until you’ve seen the faces. Now that I’ve been there, I can see their faces. Frick, I can’t stop seeing their faces, nor do I want to. I see their faces. Do you? Will you?"

Writing this was what caused me to coin the word "crilliant", something that has an equal probability of being crap or brilliant. Maybe it's somewhere in between. 

On an unrelated note, I'm meeting with an friend/editor this evening to go over the first 100 pages of the second Saban book... Can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. Dante, you're encouraging! So glad I was able to experience Cambodia with the team that we had. and I think this blog is more on the brilliant side of crilliant!!

    ReplyDelete